[BRLTTY] BRLTTY with no braille display

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Jan 10 18:01:11 EST 2010

Sebastian Humenda <shumenda at gmx.de> wrote:
> I want to use brltty on my netbook. However, in most cases there is no braille
> display connected to this netbook. I'm used to use brltty and so thought that
> it might be possible to start brltty without a braille display.

You can start it with the driver of the braille display that will eventually
be connected, then it should work when you actually connect the display. (This
is true, at least, for USB braille displays.)

If you want speech output from this netbook, look at Emacspeak or Speakup or
Yasr, which are designed for this purpose.