[BRLTTY] Releasing with temporarily reduced functionality.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jan 27 10:22:43 EST 2010

The next release of brltty is ready except for one temporarily missing bit of
functionality. Twelve of the drivers now use key tables rather than hard-coded
bindings. Of these, some used to support bindings which involve more than one
routing key being pressed simultaneously. It's this functionality which isn't
yet supported by the key tables.

While work on supporting multiple routing key bindings has now begun, there's a
need to release the rest of brltty's new functionality as soon as possible.
It's never been our policy, however, to release with reduced functionality,
even if that loss is temporary.

My questions, therefore, are these:

Would it be acceptable to release what we have so far as a beta release, and
put, right at the top of the change log for it, a clear statement regarding the
temporarily missing functionality?

What's the ris of users assuming, without reading, that what we're calling a
beta release is still of production quality?

Is this just a dumb idea, and, if so, what other possibilities do we have?