[BRLTTY] Help debugging brltty for Ubuntu Lucid

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Jan 29 11:21:01 EST 2010

[quoted lines by Bill Cox on 2010/01/29 at 10:16 -0500]

>I'm the poor guy who decided to create a Vinux ISO based on
>Ubuntu Lucid.  I'm uploading a first alpha version of it today to
>Modeem's server at vinuxvirtual.org.uk, and Tony Sale's at
>vinux.org.uk.  It doesn't yet have brltty working by default.  I'd
>like to get brltty working out of the box for the next alpha ISO.
>
>Is there anyone on this list who could help me out by downloading the
>ISO and telling me what I need to do to make it work properly?  If
>there are software bugs, I can track those down, but I don't have
>access to a Braille display, nor do I know how to read one.

There are essentially two issues.

The first is how to configure brltty for the user's device, which really only
consists of deciding which of a few otpions should be passed to it. Does your
system already have some sort of initial prompting so that the user can get a
few things configured when it boots? If so, incorporating an additional set of
prompts to configure brltty should be simple enough.

The second is how to start brltty. Does your system use Upstart? If so, it'll
be easy.