[BRLTTY] Problem with orca and brltty, Braille showing on wrong terminal

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun May 16 19:17:59 EDT 2010

Hello,
Firstly sorry to those who don't like cross posting but I felt this is
relevant for both and I am unsure where precisely the problem is coming
from.

To explain the problem. On my debian system for some reason when I
logout and log back in to gnome the X server moves up a terminal (from
tty7 to tty8). When this happens on my debian system the Braille output
of orca is left on the old terminal (tty7 in this case) and the new
terminal (tty8) just shows "screen not in text mode".

This makes Braille in orca impossible to use when I logout and log back
in to gnome on this debian system (the terminal showing the Braille is
not the gnome one so won't pick up keyboard events, etc).

Interestingly I don't see this on an archlinux system (the archlinux
system still suffers from X moving up a terminal, it doesn't suffer this
Braille issue).

Now my questions are: Where might the actual issue be found (brltty or
orca)? One obvious thought for differences between systems is possibly
different configurations, could either brltty or orca configuration
affect this? Any other suggestions for how I may track this down?

Thanks for any help you can give

Michael Whapples