[BRLTTY] Very New to BRLTTY [NEED HELP]

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Tue May 25 02:26:13 EDT 2010

Saravanamutthukumaran <saravanan at spectrumelectra.com> wrote:
> The main problem
> and a very big problem for me is...
>         I don't know how to compile the source and also how to create exe
> from the source which i changed...

If you want to contribute changes to BRLTTY, I suggest you start with a copy
checked out from the subversion repository. From the shell, do the following.

svn co svn://mielke.cc/main/brltty brltty

This will create a brltty directory containing the latest source files.

cd brltty
./autogen && ./configure && make && sudo make install

should be enough to compile the source code and install it.

If you want to change any of the directory locations or other options, run
./configure --help and specify the desired options as parameters to the
configure command above.

It is assumed here that you have installed subversion, gcc, automake/autoconf
and other dependencies.

Under debian and similar systems, you can ensure that all of the required
dependencies are satisfied by running
sudo aptitude build-dep brltty

This will install all of the build dependencies of the brltty package, which
should be identical (or at least very similar) to those of the latest code in
the repository.

Under other Linux distributions or operating systems such as FreeBSD, you may
have to resolve the dependencies manually.