[BRLTTY] Debug.log from Anders.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu May 27 07:32:34 EDT 2010

[quoted lines by Anders Holmberg on 2010/05/27 at 10:53 +0200]

>Attached is the debug.log for brltty-2.1 for windows together with nvda.

Thank you very much.

>I do hope it makes sense.

Yes, except that I don't understand the error message as it's in your language.
What does "tkomst nekad" mean?

>Anything i can do for brltty i would do it.

We appreciate this very much.

I don't usually comment on people, but I'd like to say something regarding
Moty. i'm sorry, Moty, if it's embarrassing for me to discuss you publically,
but there's something I think needs to be said.

Let's all please be gentle. He's doing his best to express himself in English,
which seems to be a language he's having some difficulty using. Whenever anyone
uses a language he's not fluent in, he can often appear to be different in
character than he really is. This, however, is simply due to his inability to
express himself properly, accurately, and effectively in that language. I
blieeve this to be true in his case.

Also, Moty, like many others, is one of our users. Like many users, he may well
lack the technical skills and/or confidence to provide us the kind of help
which would speed up the resolution of his problem. Combine this with the very
real possibility that his lack of fulency in English may make it just that much
more difficult for him to adequately udnerstand what we're asking him to do.
Add to all of this his very understandalbe frustration with the fact that an
application he's come to rely heavily on has now become somewhat unusable
insofar has his own particular and very real needs are concerned. Let's all
please be very patient with him and simply do what Anders has done here - help
whenever and wherever we can.

Another aspect to all of this is that it's not always obvious to users that
we're actually trying to look into their problems. This is because our
investigative discussions often take place privately, i.e. not on this list, so
no one else knows that they're taking place.

Now, back to the problem: Your log shows that the device is properly opened and
detected. It's then suspended, after which it can no longer be opened again
(due to whatever "tkomst nekad" means). It looks like this:

First, the initial part which is working flawlessly:

   brltty.exe: checking for braille driver: bm
   brltty.exe: initializing braille driver: bm -> serial:COM3
   brltty.exe: serial device opened: COM3: fd=1812
   brltty.exe: probing with Baum protocol
   brltty.exe: Cell Count: 64 (64 text, 0 status)
   brltty.exe: Braille Display Dimensions: 1 row, 64 columns
   brltty.exe: regions: text=0.64 status=0.0
   brltty.exe: shifts: full=64 half=32 vertical=5
   brltty.exe: Key Bindings: default
   brltty.exe: file opened: L:/brltty-win-4.2-1/bin/../etc/brltty/brl-bm-default.ktb fd=3
   brltty.exe: including data file: L:/brltty-win-4.2-1/bin/../etc/brltty/brl-bm-default.ktb
   brltty.exe: file opened: L:/brltty-win-4.2-1/bin/../etc/brltty/brl-bm-display6.kti fd=4
   brltty.exe: including data file: L:/brltty-win-4.2-1/bin/../etc/brltty/brl-bm-display6.kti
   brltty.exe: file opened: L:/brltty-win-4.2-1/bin/../etc/brltty/brl-bm-keyboard.kti fd=4
   brltty.exe: including data file: L:/brltty-win-4.2-1/bin/../etc/brltty/brl-bm-keyboard.kti
   brltty.exe: file opened: L:/brltty-win-4.2-1/bin/../etc/brltty/brl-bm-routing6.kti fd=4
   brltty.exe: including data file: L:/brltty-win-4.2-1/bin/../etc/brltty/brl-bm-routing6.kti
   brltty.exe: Key Table: L:/brltty-win-4.2-1/bin/../etc/brltty/brl-bm-default.ktb
   brltty.exe: Braille Driver: bm [Baum]
   brltty.exe: Baum Braille Driver:
   brltty.exe: Braille Parameter: protocols=
   brltty.exe: Braille Parameter: variokeys=
   brltty.exe: Braille Device: serial:COM3
   brltty.exe: Preferences File: L:/brltty-win-4.2-1/bin/../etc/brltty-bm.prefs
   brltty.exe: cannot open file: L:/brltty-win-4.2-1/bin/../etc/brltty-bm.prefs: No such file or directory
   brltty.exe: regions: text=0.60 status=61.3
   brltty.exe: shifts: full=60 half=30 vertical=5
   brltty.exe: Baum Device Identity: HWG Brailliant64
   brltty.exe: Baum Serial Number: 25007174

Now for a part which is interesting, but which I don't think is relevant to the
problem:

   brltty.exe: Ignored Byte: 00
   brltty.exe: Ignored Byte: 00
   brltty.exe: Partial Packet: 50 02

At this point the Baum driver is suspended:

   brltty.exe: driver suspended

And now we get the following three lines over and over again:

   brltty.exe: CreateFile error 5: ?tkomst nekad.
   brltty.exe: cannot open serial device: COM3
   brltty.exe: braille driver initialization failed: bm -> serial:COM3

So brltty is no longer able to access the device after suspension.