[BRLTTY] braille input with retainDots=1 not working

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Oct 19 10:47:24 EDT 2010

[quoted lines by marquats at studi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de on 2010/10/19 at 16:17 +0200]

>Can one switch to input mode from the client's side, by calling some
>brlapi_... function, or must it always be done by the user?

The core doesn't support the concept of multiple modes. It's all based on how
the driver itself maps key combinations to core commands. To be more accurate,
that's how it used to be, but the new way is still similar in effect from a
user perspective. The new way is to define the bindings in key tables, to have
the driver send key press/release events to the core, and to have the core
translate the key events into commands via the key tables. Still, the core is
doing a blind translation as it's simply applying the rules contained within
the key tables.

>Where can I find the key combinations for the different braille terminals to
>switch to input mode? Or is this only neccessary with the ht driver?

The HandyTech driver, and the Papenmeier driver's support for the BrailleX 2D
Screen, are the only ones which come to mind at the moment which still work
this way.