[BRLTTY] Absolute basics

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Oct 26 19:50:47 EDT 2010

[quoted lines by Andy Jack on 2010/10/26 at 22:14 +0100]

>I downloaded and built brltty 4.2 with --with-braille-driver=bn and
>--with-braille-device=ttyUSB0

It's probably best to not specify any of these configure options as the default
is to build all drivers. Then specify what you actually want for system
defaults within /etc/brltty.conf.

   braille-driver bn
   braille-device serial:ttyUSB0

This way, you can change your specifications without having to rebuild brltty.

>(make install didn't seem to update the brltty in /sbin)

That'd be because the default is to install brltty in /bin (not /sbin). I guess
Ubuntu overrides this default.

>and run it with sudo ./brltty in the Programs directory,

Note that if you don't specify --with-braille-driver= when configuring (which
builds the specified drivers into the brltty executable) then running brltty
this way may not work because the correct versions of the drivers may not have
been installed yet. The best way to run brltty from within the build tree is to
use the run-brltty script in the top-level build directory.