[BRLTTY] brltty hangs after startup

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Fri Apr 8 05:11:06 EDT 2011

Sébastien Hinderer <Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org> wrote:

> Actually, the interference seems to be cased by the NetworkManager
> daemon.
> Indeed, if it is disabled, the system boots up correctly and brltty does
> not hang. I guess I'll have to investigate further on how NetworkManager
> should be configured so that it can be enabled without disturbing
> brltty.

It's probably writing to the serial port to probe for a modem of some kind,
for example a GSM modem.

Networkmanager is one of those packages that I always ensure is never
installed on my system; I know people who have had very negative experiences
with it that I don't want to run the risk of repeating. I also prefer to
configure my network interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces directly.