[BRLTTY] brltty build failure

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Apr 11 11:38:07 EDT 2011

[quoted lines by William Hubbs on 2011/04/10 at 21:50 -0500]

>If you try to disable the a2 screen driver on a system that does not
>have dbus installed, the configure script fails.

It'd actually be true for any driver which is conditionally built. While, on
principle, it's against my nature to ask why the user wants to disable the
driver, in this case I'm going to ask this very question. Usually, it's only
necessary to explicitly disable things which are causing problems so why
explicitly disable something which isn't causing a problem? Why not just let it
not get included?

>The only fix I know of is to require dbus to be installed when building
>brltty, even though brltty may not use dbus.

That, of course, would be silly. I'd never agree to that.

>Is there any way that the build system could be adjusted so that this
>isn't required?

First, I'd want to know why it ought to be necessary to support what the user
is complaining about. The way it works now, dbus not being installed causes the
AtSpi2 screen driver to be excluded, which, in turn, makes the AtSpi2 screen
driver unknown to the build system. That, at least to me, seems entirely
logical so why add all sort os extra complexity for a requirement which simply
may not make sense?