[BRLTTY] Strange problem with brltty on google

Cheryl Homiak cahomiak at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 00:05:39 EDT 2011

I have two linux machines: a thinkpad T23 and a Thinkpad T61. Shortly after upgrading the t23 to grub2 and reconfiguring console-setup in debian unstable so i could have more on the screen since you can't use the vga= codes in grub2, I started having a strange problem when running google in lynx. I would load up to the "always allowing" line or maybe even to "data transfer complete" and then using brltty it would appear loading had stalled. However, when running speakup along with brltty, I discovered that the page was indeed loading and could be navigated but that it was the information to my braillelite that I wasn't getting. I discovered that I could quit lynx and then, among other possibilities, press and hold down the enter key and the prompt would be on my braillelite and I could keep working as usual. Eventually I re-installed debian on the T23, though not because of this problem. I am now running stable instead of unstable and haven't tried to change the amount I can get on the screen so it's at 25 rows and 80 columns.

Meanwhile, I decided to install Arch on my thinkpad T61. When I finished the instal and downloaded and installed lynx, I discovered that the google loading problem or rather the google-with-my-braillelite problem had returned. In case it's relevant, stty says I have 56 rows and 180 columns. I don't know if that has any bearing on the problem; I just know that I was working on getting more on the screen when I first had this problem with the T23.

So far the problem only occurs when I go to google but it's very irritating because probably the number one website I go to with lynx is google since I like to be able to use braille and I'm not running orca. This doesn't appear to be a brltty subversion problem since it happened/happens on the brltty installs used by debian and arch and not just with subversion revisions. At one point I ran elinks instead and this didn't happen. There doesn't appear to be any logging, brltty or otherwise, to show what this problem is. I've traded ethernet cables, serial and serial-usb cables and braillelites so I'm convinced it isn't a hardware problem and of course it has happened on two different computers. Does anybody know what could be causing this?

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart