[BRLTTY] [Braillenote] Braille Terminal Changes Also Affects OS X

Sabahattin Gucukoglu mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com
Sun Feb 13 10:15:04 EST 2011

On 13 Feb 2011, at 04:22, Alex Hall wrote:
> Wow, horrible news! Please, if you haven't already, email support and
> detail what is going on with OSX and brltty. Apple computers are so
> accessible already that I hate to see them lose the Apex as a display.
> I would write support as well, except I do not use a Mac and so cannot
> be specific enough. Thanks for the warning!

Well, I spoke too soon - iOS is also affected.  It seems HumanWare did not think of backward compatibility or interoperability at all when they changed the QT braille support.  So, even iOS devices are severely hampered by the braille changes, to the use of thumb keys and router buttons only.

I guess the only hope now is to have either the respective drivers updated, or else HumanWare should reintroduce bug-for-bug compatibility with the earlier, braille-in emulation.  Meantime, I'll just get used to reaching from left to right between physical keyboard and braille display, and losing some navigational features, which is horribly painful, in addition to the issue of having braille present even when it is explicitly switched off.

Cheers,
Sabahattin