[BRLTTY] Contraction errors and patch: Methodistical and friends

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 30 15:21:16 EDT 2011

100% for Dave!

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 10:46:50AM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2011/07/29 at 13:21 -0400]
>
> >In words like contradistinction (currently done right) you can't use
> >the st sign because the base word is distinct and you use the dis
> >sign there.
>
> seems silly, but, I guess, rules are rules. I suppose the same silly rule
> applies to the words "equidistant" and "interdistrict".

Yep:

holds ! rails firm & equidistant "u
 ( six equidistant cities4 ,) "ey?+
   8,b>ray> is equidistant40
equidistant f ! ?ree 3t95ts1 ! ,old

I don't have any examples of interdistrict. However, dictionary.com
says there's a syllable division between dis and trict. This same
syllable division occurs in aspidistra, suggesting that the st sign
may after all be wrong in that word. In the absence of evidence to the
contrary I still kind of like it there. (Besides, I'm the one that
thought it up...)

> >Aspidistra: I can't find any uses of this word among my Web-Braille
> >books so I don't know how the Library of Congress would
> >rule. Currently brltty does not use the st sign. I'm suggesting that
> >it should.

> What about humidistat? The "st" contraction should probably be used
> there as well.

Now THIS one I'm sure about. I don't have any examples, but the
syllable break comes between the di and stat. So that one for sure
should use the st sign.

Here's a patch. Note that it claims to succeed at offset 2 lines but
it recreates the table exactly.

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll