[BRLTTY] Cut & paste with BRLTTY in Windows

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 29 03:18:42 EDT 2011

CYGWIN=tty is being removed. The next release of Cygwin won't honor
it, and apparently this is already true of recent snapshots (though I
don't use snapshots). I was scared when they started discussing
removing the tty item, but I tried it and other than changing the
device name of the current session (output of the `tty' command) it
had no deleterious effect. I haven't noticed any benefit in cut and
paste though, but I didn't read the original message in this thread.

So, removing the tty can't hurt and will make things like they'll be
when Cygwin is upgraded to 1.7.10.

I do cut and paste with the edit menu on Alt+Space. To copy from
Cygwin to Windows I do:

Alt+Space
e (for edit)
s (for select the screen)
<Enter> (puts the whole screen in the clipboard)

Then in Windows I paste it in with Ctrl+V.

To copy the clipboard to Cygwin I do:

Alt+Space
p (pastes the clipboard to the cursor position)

If brltty's standard cut and paste are supposed to work then their
failure is an error. (It's possible I just hadn't tried it recently
enough but I think I did so last week.)

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll