[BRLTTY] BRLTTY Implicated In Resource Exhaustion

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun May 8 20:35:42 EDT 2011

Sabahattin Gucukoglu <mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com> wrote:

> It didn't work, which seems to make sense since I'm not always logged in
> when it happens.  I did notice, though, that it seemed to be triggered by
> action on the terminals, either console or display.  Also, brltty seems to
> die instantly if started up via SSH, as opposed to a VT.

Do you mean that it causes a segmentation fault, or just that it slows down
the machine to such an extent as to make interaction impossible? If it's a
segfault, you'll need to rebuild BRLTTY (preferably the latest version from
svn) with debug symbols enabled and obtain a backtrace from gdb.

There's a new 2.6.38 kernel in Debian now, too.

Strace may also help, as you suggested.

I don't have any other suggestions, but there are experts on the list and you
may need to take it up with Debian or the kernel community.