[BRLTTY] Interface a newly made Braille Reader with BRLTTY

Umesh Bale braillemitra at aceinfotech.biz
Wed May 11 06:15:32 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I am Umesh Bale, working as Senior Development Engineer  in ACE Infotech, an
organization from India. We have developed a Refreshable Braille Reader
using piezo-electric Braille Cells,   for visually challanged person.
Currently this device can be used to read the Braille converted books of all
11 Indian languages. We have designed this for Library environment for
reading Braille books in 11 Indian Languages and English.

Now we want to interface this device with BRLTTY, So that it can act as a
screen reader also. If it is done, it will be a huge success for us, and a
great help for the visually challanged persons in India, who mainly know the
Local Languages only.

I am requesting to all of you to let me know what steps are to be followed
to interface this device to BRLTTY. We have full control over the internal
firmware of the Braille Reader since we are the designers of this unit. We
have made the unit in widths of 40, 32 and 16 Braille character cells. I am
also interested to keep in touch with the BRLTTY development community.
It has simply USB to RS232 (Serial) converter is used to connect it to the
PC.
Currently we have not developed any Braille protocol inside and we want to
develop it with the help of your community.
If any suggetions or corrections pls guide us.
I heard in BRLTTY simply USB HID protocol can be used for Braille Reader. If
it is, how can I program my device?

We will be grateful for all the help you can extend to us in this task.

Awaiting your kind reply.

Thanking You,

With Best Regards
Umesh Bale