[BRLTTY] Alva BC640 question

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Oct 1 19:15:41 EDT 2011

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2011/10/01 at 18:47 -0400]

>Yes, when the unit is powered on there are two drives. The problem is
>that the notes application, which is what you use to take notes or to
>read files you've copied to the notes application, is on the 3 MB
>disk, not the 3 GB one. That means notes can't read big files and
>can't have many of them. Since I'm a heavy reader this limitation is
>irksome.

Perhaps you could ask Optelec if they'd consider enhancing the notes
application so that it can also access the large drive?

>But I'll probably keep it in hopes a later firmware upgrade will get
>rid of its being hosed.

Another possibility is that you could use Bluetooth instead of USB. That'll
work for sure.

>I hate it when technology sometimes works and then when you get enthused it
>quits. I'd rather have it not work in the first place.

I know how you feel. If it wre software, I'm sure they'd be able to deliver a
fix much quicker. The problem with firmware is that recovery is much harder if
the fix contains problems. I'm sure they want to fix this problem, but I'm also
equally sure they want to go about doing so extremely cautiously.

My recommendation is that, for the time being, you use Bluetooth.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.