[BRLTTY] Improving the speech support of brltty

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Wed Apr 25 17:05:34 EDT 2012

Hello Dave,

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> schrieb am 25.04.2012, 16:09 -0400:
>[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2012/04/25 at 21:41 +0200]
>>* a speech cursor which follows the braille cursor, until some special
>>  speech-only navigations are made. In this case the display stays at the
>>  current position until the speech cursor gets out of the text area which is
>>  displayed on the display. So the braille display would scroll with the speech
>>  cursor when e. g. naviggating word-by-word. The motion would be like the
>>  braille left-and-right motions with a fixed length.
>
>>* same as above, but the display scrolls so that the speech cursor is always
>>  approximately in the middle of the display so that you can see the context
>>  left and right of the word / character beeing spoken (I don't like that, but
>>  other people do prefer it) (and it's not so simple to implement, I guess)
>
>Both are equally easy. I suppose there's a third alternative where the speech
>cursor would drag the braille display. In other words, the braille display
>would only move just enough to bring the speech location back into view.
This is the opposite of fixed scrolling and personally, I don't like that. But
this could also be a configurable setting, if wanted.

>Should navigation of the braille display location always move the speech
>cursor? If so, where should the speech cursor go: the leftmost character, the
>rightmost character, the middle, or where?
The left-most character. And I would say that always the whole line is read when
the braille display moves to a new line. So If I am at the beginning of a line
with my 40 cell display, the speech cursor should be on the very first character
and if I navigate right, I think the speech cursor then should be on the
first character shown on the display.

>>A separate speech cursor would also allow to to "clicks" like the cursor routing
>>does.
>
>Do you mean a key which means route to the current speech location?
Yes, exactly.

>Is it okay for the speech functions to be bound to keyboard key combinations
>rather than to braille display key combinations? This isn't an implementation
>detail. I'm asking, rather, because I'd like to know where to define the
>default bindings.
I think so.

Thanks
Sebastian
--
Blog (English | Deutsch): http://crustulus.de/blog
Teste das freie Latein-Deutsch-Wörterbuch: