[BRLTTY] brl_identify()

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Feb 25 19:11:05 EST 2012

[quoted lines by timothyhobbs at seznam.cz on 2012/02/25 at 23:32 +0100]

>Well they are needed for capital letters, numbers, symbols, ect...

Yes, though they're not so important in English. I guess you're wanting to
produce Czech braille.

>so yes, I will have to translate...  I'll look into how best to do this latter
>though.

Just create your own text table. I'm assuming you're currently using cs.ttb
(run brltty with -v to verify). You could create another one called something
like cs-6dot.ttb, and then specify it with the -t option or the text-table
directive in brltt.conf. If it's a good tfble then we can include it with
brltty (just send it to me). Note that text tables should be encoded in UTF-8.

>Since I don't think it's best that I do this within my driver.  I do

Of course not. That's why we have text tables. If it's good for your device
then it's also good for users of other braille displays.

>Well I'm done with everything now, but the actual serial communication and
>dealing with the keycodes(which really isn't important at this alpha stage...)
>And it seems to me that I may be able to figure out the serial communication
>on my own.  I've just reread the voyager driver code and I think I understand
>it now.  I got scared, because there is a whole bunch of device identification
>code in there that doesn't apply

If all you want supported is serial I/O then just specify the serial data.
Specifying the serial data is really easy. Just declare the correct serial
parameters and assign that one field to the descriptor.

I guess it was the USB stuff which frightened you, but you don't need that if
you're using a virtual serial port. It's for direct USB I/O. Just specify the
serial data, and then specify serial: for the device (e.g. serial:ttyUSB0).

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html