[BRLTTY] brltty and voyager 44 USB-HUB

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Jan 9 10:52:46 EST 2012

[quoted lines by Dietmar Segbert on 2012/01/08 at 21:35 +0100]

>I have done the following:
>deleting /var/log/messages
>deleted /var/log/syslog
>unplug the voyager 44
>plug in the voyager 44 in a usb-hub (usb 2.0) with poweradapter
>pressing the keys of the voyager 44
>
>looking vor messages and syslog, but there are no new entrys in the files.

Removing those files was the wrong thing to do. Your system is probably still
continuing to write to those now deleted files. This is okay because a file
isn't actually deleted from the disk until it's been closed by all applications
using it, but it means that you can no longer access it.

This problem may self-correct because many distributions these days open new
versions of these files each week or so. I think, though, that the best thing
to do to make sure your system is back to normal is to reboot it.

>Can i make debug-file of brltty?

I was actually wanting to know what your system log is reporting, but, yes, you
could also send us a log from brltty itself. To do this, please add two options
when rtunning brltty. The first is -ldebug and the second is -L/path/to/logfile
(the -L here is uppercase).

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html