[BRLTTY] Brltty and the latex-access project

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Jan 13 21:43:39 EST 2012

[quoted lines by Daniel Dalton on 2012/01/11 at 21:09 +1100]

>I was just wondering what the status of executable contraction tables
>was, currently? Should anything be working at this point is there
>anything I could begin implementing on my project's side? I've received
>a bit of pressure from fellow developers on my project to follow this
>one up... I haven't seen any relevant commits recently anyway.

I got side-tracked implementing a new driver for a user who had a brand new
device which wasn't supported yet.

>Is the way string data will be passed between brltty and my project
>latex-access still a problem, i.e. cursor routing data? I believe
>getting a translation which was the desired length i.e. the same length
>as the Braille display in use was still a bit of a problem?

I'd stopped at the point where we needed to settle on a protocol for passing
data back and forth. It needs to support sending multiple values in both
directions. What do you think about sending a set of lines, each in the form
name=value, with a blank line at the end? So, for example, brltyt might send
something like this to your software:

   cursor=12
   length=40
   text=   utf-8 encoded characters which can be indented and contain blanks

Output from your software back to brltty would be the same, but, of course,
with a different set of data. Is this approach okay?

We'd need to decide how to deal with newlines in the input text, as well as
with whatever braille dot combination looks like a newline in the output data.

We could always have a way for the output to say that BRF characters are being
used, which would support 6-dot braille and which wouldn't have a newline
problem.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html