[BRLTTY] A few loose ends

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Tue Jul 3 14:47:42 EDT 2012

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

> The default for brltty-ctb is to write Unicode braille characters. This is the
> best default since it's language-independent. You see them as question marks
> because your selected font doesn't support them. Unfortunately, there's no way,
> at present, to directly ask a Linux console what its content is in Unicode.
> What's done, therefore, is to get the font positions of each character, and to
> look them up in the currently loaded Unicode to font position table.

You can more or less easily enable Unicode braille on the console on
Debian systems by installing the package "console-braille" and
reconfiguring /etc/default/console-setup such that it includes a braille
font in addition to the normal 256-character font you are using.  I
posted a relatively detailed explanation of this a while ago.  If you
need instructions, let me know.  I think Unicode braille is really worth
being promoted, more people should get their consoles to handle it,
since it makes a very nasty internationalisation problem go away when it
comes to passing exact dot patterns around between people in different
language backgrounds.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕