[BRLTTY] XCompose

timothyhobbs at seznam.cz timothyhobbs at seznam.cz
Tue Jul 17 13:45:58 EDT 2012

I have been testing XCompose because I believe that my FCHAD device will
need to use it.  From the hardware standpoint, I will take a keyboard
controller from some standard USB keyboard,  but only hook up the 10 home
row keycodes to actual physical buttons(plus the numpad keycodes...)  I am
going to do it this way, as it is the simplest way to get keycodes to the
computer.  Since this method is simple and cheep, I will do it this way full
stop :).  To the software standpoint the device's built in keyboard will
look identical to any other USB keyboard(except perhaps port number/UUID).
This USB keyboard will be plugged into the USB controller of the raspberry
pi, which will be the internal computer for the FCHAD device that I'm
building.

XCompose doesn't work very well at all.  I set it up with ttbtest(which I
built on 4.3 since on 4.4 I never got it to build) :
This is what I tried:

$ LANG=C make brltest
cc     brltest.c   -o brltest
brltest.c:23:22: fatal error: prologue.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [brltest] Error 1
[timothy at timothy Programs]$

Anyways, I built the XCompose file on 4.3 from the Czech table.  I ended up
with the attached file.  Anyways, everything works there, except backslash
which is mapped to (2368) when I type those keys I just get the dots(the low
backwards t that is represented by 2368).

Another problem, is that the x input method doesn't seem to work everywhere.
  I never got it to work in firefox.  I tried to set the ENV vars, didn't
help, but probably because I have no clue what the X Input Method's name
is...

export GTK_IM_MODULE='xim'
export QT_IM_MODULE='xim'
uim-xim &
export XMODIFIERS=@im='xim'

Perhaps it's called something other than xim...

Furthermore, I found several bugs already in gnome-terminal regarding the
input methods.  They stop working and you must set them again.  As a primary
input method this is quite useless.

So if I am to use the USB keyboard I'll have to have brltty grab the
keyboard and handle it separately.  Or some other solution?

Thank you for your time,
Timothy Hobbs