[BRLTTY] SAY functions added to laptop key table.

Eric Scheibler email at eric-scheibler.de
Tue Jun 5 18:09:25 EDT 2012

Hello Dave,

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> schrieb am 04.06.2012, 14:39 -0400:
>The way it works for braille is that there are two pairs of commands:
>LNUP/LNDN, and PRDIFLN/NXDIFLN. The setting swaps their meanings. If skip
>identical lines is on then PRDIFLN/NXDIFLN switch to moving exactly one line at
>a time. In other words, the user always has access to both functions and it
>just becomes a matter of which function is the easy one.
>
>Does speech need the same approach, or is just one function, which honours the
>setting, sufficient?

In my oppinion the speak prev / next line function should act like the lnup
/ lndn commands. So everyone can choose if he wants to skip the identical
lines with the option in the menu. If for one reason he still needs the
ability to walk exactly one line up or down regardless if the skip option
is turned on or not he can use the braille commands PRDIFLN/NXDIFLN. I
can't see why these commands shouldn't work with speech cause I also can
assign them to keyboard shortcuts. So there is no need to copy the same
commands for speech unless I miss something important regarding the
compatibility between speech and braille commands.

Maybe you can describe the different line commands for example in a comment
in the key table files or anywhere else for a better overview.

Alternatively kill the speak prev/next line commands and rename the others
from lnup/lndn to PrevLineWithSkip / NextLineWithSkip and
from PRDIFLN/NXDIFLN to PrevLine / NextLine

Regards
Eric