[BRLTTY] brltty debian squeeze vmware fusion

jeronimo at leierweg.net jeronimo at leierweg.net
Tue Mar 6 03:46:33 EST 2012

Hello,
I installed from the netinst iso under VMWare Fusion. The installation didn’t work without sighted assistance. Brltty was just saying: “Screen not in text mode.”
Apart from this the install went well. However when I start the virtual machine the braille display is not working. It is connected to the virtual machine via the host os i.e vmware fusion device management.
When I log in i.e
root
password
and then type
brltty
It is working alright.
But it is very confusing not to know whether I am in the right window, the keyboard works etc. etc.
I have a native installation on the same Macbook pro 2011 of Debian Squeeze and that is working alright.
So could you please lent a hand in figuring what is actually not working.
My grub.cfg seems to be vanilla, checked with my server’s grub.cfg. I suspected that the video mode was not set properly but didn’t find anything suspicious.
I tried to tweak inittab to start brltty as outlined in the distribution guide lines but that didn’t do the trick either.
I hope you can help
Best regards
Jeronimo