[BRLTTY] BRLTTY in GRUB

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Mar 15 09:51:59 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko on 2012/03/15 at 12:30 +0100]

>I've managed to make baum driver (chosen because of qemu support) compile in
>GRUB.

I think it'd be best to find a way to get all of brltty built. The reason is
that the individual drivers use a logial hgh level I/O layer which is
implemented within the core. The core then would just require a set of
grub-specific low level functions. This paradigm is how the core is able to
support Linux, multiple other Unix flavours, Cygwin, Windows, and MS-DOS.
Adding Grub as another platform shouldn't be that difficult if it's done in the
same way.

>It seems that the driver assumes that for USB devices it's assumed that after
>isUsbDevice the device is equal to the USB serial.

No. If brltty is given a USB device then it communicates with it directly using
USB operations.

>Should I make isQualifiedDevice adjust device to strip usb/ ?

You should not change any core function. Supporting a new platform, like Grub,
shouldn't change more than absolutely necessary. In my opinion, that'd only be
low level system interfacing. All higher level code should remain as is.

>What are the functions usbReapResponse and usbSetAlternative are supposed to
>do?

They're part of the higher level USB interface. What'd need to be done is to
implement a usb_grub.c which implements low level USB operations in the way
that Grub needs them done. If Grub supports libusb, then that's already been
done.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html