[BRLTTY] Is it possible for a script to turn off grade 2?

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 16 17:40:16 EDT 2012

Hi folks,

I have a set of scripts called lb (Less with Bookmarks) designed to
display text (including braille) files while keeping a running
bookmark to track progress. Since most grade 2 files are written using
7-dot characters that look weird on an 8-dot display the scripts
translate them to 6-dot ones if the filename contains .brf or .brl.

Recently I talked to a beginner who didn't realize you need to turn
off brltty's grade 2 translations in order to read a grade 2 file. Is
there a way lb can do this automatically? Optimally the change would
apply to only the current console or, at the very least, be such that
the script can undo any change when switching to another console or
terminating lb.

I already do a lot of stuff with stty and other console
configuration/escape sequences, but I know nothing of BrlAPI (which is
why I have hesitated for years to ask this question).

By the way, I'd be overjoyed to send these to anyone who wants them.
Current version is 0.44 beta. They've been nearly nine years in
development. Write to leemer1 at comcast.net.

Thanks for any info,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll