[BRLTTY] BRLTTY in GRUB2

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Mar 29 19:45:17 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko on 2012/03/30 at 01:00 +0200]

>They are in grub-core/lib/posix-wrap/include. They aren't properly
>speaking GRUB header, more of compatibility header.

In my copy (downloaded with bzr), they seem to be right in posix_wrap. There
doesn't seem to be a posix_wrap/include.

Perhaps I can fake a reasonably accurate grub compile environment. I just need
to figure out how to tell gcc not to look in /usr/include.

>I've made an fwrite/write which outputs to console if handler is either
>stdout or stderr and returns EROFS on any other handler. Also fopen with
>mode other than "r" fails with EROFS.

Excellent! Thanks.

>>  I think it'd be best if
>> we don't try to do any keyboard monitoring in grub.
>What is keyboard monitoring and how it works?

Brltty supports the ability (only on Linux, so far) to intercept keyboard key
events (press, release) and is able to bind keyboard key combinations to brltty
commands. Any key events which result in something that hasn't been bound to a
brltty command are passed through to the system for normal processing.

>> I'm curious: In grub_serial_port, why is it "*next" but "**prev"?
>All available serial ports are in double-linked list.

Ys, I understand that. What I'm asking is why *next (one asterisk) but **prev
(two asterisks)?

>com<number>,

Do these start from 0 or from 1?

>usb<number>,

What's the number here? Is it related to the bus number and/or the device
address, or is it something else?

>port<I/O address>

This would again be for a serial port?

Are these something like "port" followed by three hex digits?

>> Does grub_serial_port_fetch need to do the read to discover that no data is
>> pending, or is it possible for that condition to be tested without doing an
>> actual read? If it's possible to just to the test, is there already a way to do
>> it or could one be added?
>This makes little sense for NS8250 since it's just one additional port
>read. On USB you need to poll the input anyway for this.

Okay. We can buffer the character if one is read.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html