[BRLTTY] test result, was re: brltty 4.3 and papenmeier

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun May 13 23:22:16 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2012/05/13 at 21:14 -0400]

>When "Show All Items" is "No" the "Show Submenu Sizes" results are
>questionable.  The "Speech" menu indicates 17 items but only 10 are
>visible in my case.  This is even worse for "Status Cells" which
>indicates 12 but I have only one item there.  Maybe displaying (10/17)
>and (1/12) would be clearer in that case.  When "Show All Items" is
>"Yes" then things make sense as they are i.e. no fractional display is
>fine.

Fixed. The fractional display is shown in both cases. Is that okay or, if it's
yes, should just the single number be shown?

>I think having the TOP_LEFT command exit a submenu could be nice,
>regardless of the highlighted item.

The problem here is that some displays just have TOP_LEFT/BOT_LEFT or just have
TOP/BOT, and, of those, especially the older drivers, some don't have
menu-specific bindings. For this reason, it's probably better to leave TOP_LEFT
as go to first item. We could, though, introduce a menu-specific command for
leaving a submenu and then create a menu-specific binding to it for those
displays where it makes sense.

>There is a strange speech stutter when scrolling down in the "Menu
>Options" menu.  With auto-speak active, the synthesizer would say "Save
>on Exit: Yes", then "Show All Items: No", and then "Show Show Submenu
>Sizes: Yes".  On the third item, the word "show" would be pronounced
>twice.  And the weirdest thing is that this happens only once after
>starting BRLTTY and then it won't happen again, unless I kill and
>restart BRLTTY.

I can't reproduce this one.

>OK, enough for now.  :-)

The more, the better. It'd be nice to have it working as well as possible for
4.4, which I'd like to release soon.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html