[BRLTTY] Speech and keypad

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed May 23 21:10:34 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Stéphane Doyon on 2012/05/23 at 20:27 -0400]

>You're saying that "blank" is the formal correct name of what I think
>of as "space"? Oh. :-)

Yes. Perheaps I've been around Unicode too much. :-) "blank" is the name of the
specific Unicode character U+0020, and "space" is a character class which means
white-space.

>But of course it's limiting to have to use the system cursor, there
>are places it can't go, many programs don't let you move it around
>freely.

Yes, that's of course true.

>It seems natural to me to use the speech cursor, but admittedly I
>have only this use case in mind... In what context would it be
>preferrable to use the system cursor?

To me, it becomes a matter of predictability, or, if you will, intuitiveness. A
braille user who doesn't think in terms of speech will likely not figure out
what's going on if the speech cursor is used. I also can't think of a good
reason to make keyboard bindings implicitly speech-centric.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html