[BRLTTY] starting brltty before login

Raoul MEGELAS rmgls at free.fr
Fri Nov 23 09:50:30 EST 2012

[quoted lines by Dave Mielke

> >On the *bsd family we must run the screen soft
> >before brltty.
> >after login all work fine.
> >
> >but we need is to mimic the linux behaviour:
> >starting screen and brltty before the login
> >and continue to have it running after login.
> >
> i tried the command:
> >
> >screen -dmS MyServer.
> >
> >screen start, and after it brltty.*
> >but we get the traditional
> >
> >no screen (if logged with the user login,
> >or screen is initializing if we root login.
>
> Are you able to get a brltty log so that we can see any error messages?

for sure of course,
Please see below.
this is not informative, except as (verified),
screen does not start before login.

but i do not know how to start screen and
brltty automatically after login.

Sorry for my ignorance... ...

i run tcsh. i tried many things without result.

is it a way to do this?

Thanks.

> I don't know the specifics of BSD systems, but it could be that you're starting
> screen before the system is up far enough for shared memory keys to work.

i think you are quite right!

============brltty.log===============

 regions: text=0.0 status=0.0
 shifts: full=1 half=0 vertical=5

 checking for screen driver: sc
 initializing screen driver: sc
 Shared memory file system object: /
 Trying shared memory key: 0X627B0002
 Screen image shared memory key: 0X627B0002
 Screen Driver: sc [Screen]
 Screen Screen Driver:
 BrlAPI Server: release 0.5.7
 API Parameter: auth=
 API Parameter: host=
 API Parameter: retaindots=
 API Parameter: stacksize=
 checking braille device: usb:
 checking for braille driver: fs
 socket 1 established (fd 5)
 initializing braille driver: fs -> usb:
 USB: testing: vendor=05A4 product=9862
 USB: testing: vendor=0529 product=0001
 USB: testing: vendor=088E product=5036
 USB: testing: vendor=05A4 product=9837
 USB: testing: vendor=05AC product=8242
 USB: testing: vendor=0F4E product=0114
 USB: ept=82 dir=in xfr=blk pkt=64 ivl=0ms
 USB: ept=01 dir=out xfr=blk pkt=64 ivl=0ms
 linking local socket lock: File exists
 USB Language: 409
 USB: Manufacturer Name: Freedom Scientific
 USB: Product Description: Focus 3
 socket 0 established (fd 4)
 Manufacturer: FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC
 Model: Focus 40
 Firmware: 4.57
 Detected Focus 40: cells=40, firmware=4.57
 Braille Display Dimensions: 1 row, 40 columns
 regions: text=0.40 status=0.0
 shifts: full=40 half=20 vertical=5
 Key Bindings: focus_small
 file opened: /etc/brltty/brl-fs-focus_small.ktb fd=8
 including data file: /etc/brltty/brl-fs-focus_small.ktb
 file opened: /etc/brltty/brl-fs-focus_basic.kti fd=9
 including data file: /etc/brltty/brl-fs-focus_basic.kti
 file opened: /etc/brltty/brl-fs-common.kti fd=10
 including data file: /etc/brltty/brl-fs-common.kti
 file opened: /etc/brltty/brl-fs-rockers.kti fd=9
 including data file: /etc/brltty/brl-fs-rockers.kti
 Key Table: /etc/brltty/brl-fs-focus_small.ktb
 api link
 Braille Driver: fs [FreedomScientific]
 FreedomScientific Braille Driver:
 Braille Device: usb:
 Old Preferences File: /etc/brltty-fs.prefs
 file opened: /etc/brltty-fs.prefs fd=8
 regions: text=0.40 status=0.0
 shifts: full=40 half=20 vertical=5
 setting braille firmness: 2
 beeper enabled
 tone: msec=60 note=64
 speaker open error 2: No such file or directory.
 api unlink
 api link
 no autodetectable speech drivers
 checking for speech driver: no