[BRLTTY] Getting my braille driver for the FCHAD working.

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Thu Oct 18 16:37:01 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 04:11:14PM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> It's an interesting idea. My initial guess is that it'd take quite some getting
> used to. For example, I (probably like most braille readers) read with my index
> fingers. Simply switching to my middle fingers (which I just tried) doesn't
> make reading very easy. I can do it, but I have to really slow down and think
> about it. I'm assuming this is because my brain has trained itself to do
> subconscious interpretation with index finger signals but not with signals from
> any other fingers.
Dave, same here for me. Here's an interesting exercise, however: try
reading with nothing *but* your index finger. Without my middle finger
on the display as well, I notice a considerable slow-down, though not as
significant as when reading with a different finger. My guess is the
brain must use the signal from the forerunning fingers to perform some
kind of preprocessing.

Very interesting exercise.

Cheers,
S.M.