[BRLTTY] Getting my braille driver for the FCHAD working.

timothyhobbs at seznam.cz timothyhobbs at seznam.cz
Thu Oct 18 18:09:45 EDT 2012

Oh, I had never heard of the opticon.  But yes it is similar.  It's a pity,
seems you can no longer buy those devices.  I wanted to get an idea of the
price!  When I was prototyping, I made my device work so that one used a
stylus to select the character, rather than touching physical touch sensors.
  This was not a good method.  I found when reading that the main trouble
was in figuring out where the stylus was and not accidentally skipping
letters.  Jean-Phillipe tested that prototype at RMLL, so he can probably
say more.  Of course I can program the device to scan across similarly to
the opticon.  Take our sensor row as an example: 1 2 3 4 5 if the reader
were to place only their index finger on the device, I could display for a
touch registering only sensor 1, the entirety of the first character, for a
touch registering 1 and 2 however, I could display the second half of the
first character and the first half of the second.  I don't think this would
be a very good system though.  But enough speculating.  I'll finish the
device and we'll see!

Tim