[BRLTTY] Questions about refreshabraille and about running brltty for two displays

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Wed Oct 24 03:55:06 EDT 2012

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:

> For now, here are a couple of things to know. The first is that you can find
> the current bindings in the file "brl-bm-keyboard.kti". The second is that the
> RefreshaBraille has been designed so that if you press the joystick, and then,
> while holding it, press a combination involving dots 1-6, you get the original
> Baum top key bindings.

For any display that has six keys (three to the left and three to the right)
which can be pressed in any combination, the Baum key bindings are a great
starting point.

For example, it appears that the bindings for the new HumanWare displays are
based on the Baum key bindings for the top keys, so if I were to buy one, the
commands would already be familiar from having used Baum displays extensively.

Obviously I am going to claim that this kind of consistency is good and
desirable, other considerations being equal. While admitting my bias (see
above), I think the point still stands. I don't know the physical layout of a
refreshobraille, but one way to proceed would be to make the Baum key bindings
the default for the top keys, then assign commands to the other controls and
make changes as needed. That's only a suggestion, of course, and there could
be good reasons not to follow it, depending on how the device is designed.