[BRLTTY] Getting my braille driver for the FCHAD working.

timothyhobbs at seznam.cz timothyhobbs at seznam.cz
Wed Oct 24 18:38:57 EDT 2012

Unfortunately, it'll be a few years till you get your hands on one.  Right
now I have the circuits drawn out on a test board, and that test board
resides in a cardboard box.  The box is powered from the wall, rather than
by battery.  I currently only use one MPR121 touch controller which limits
me to 12 sensors when we'd like somewhere closer to the standard 80.   I
also don't have any routing keys on this thing, and would like to add an 8
key keyboard(also touch based).  I have to write yet another driver/firmware
mix(agh!) because I am going to move to a system that uses either a
raspberry pi or similar, and such a tiny computers own built in GPIO pins.
No need for complex drivers and packet control there, just different
problems. I already have almost complete designs in my head, but moving
things from the mind into the hands is tedious and time consuming work.  I
cannot even start on those "final touches" for another year due to my
academic schedule.  Every couple of months, we hear about a new braille
display project.  Most of them seem to involve high tech materials that don'
t even exist yet.  Most of those projects never reach the stage where I am
now, and the ones which do seem to have never gotten past it.  I say that,
given that you are reading this on a peizo display who's technology dates
back to the days of ed(the text editor).  It is for this reason, that I'd
like to promise nothing at all.  The only promise that I can make, is that
if I do ever get something "to market" it will be open source.

Timothy