[BRLTTY] Recommended live distribution

Klaus Knopper brltty at knopper.net
Wed Sep 19 11:19:53 EDT 2012

Hello Dave,

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:26:05AM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Klaus Knopper on 2012/09/19 at 15:21 +0200]
>
> >and has certain features such as advanced keyboard navigation which are AFAIK
> >still missing in brltty.
>
> What, exactly, do you mean by "advanced keyboard navigation"? If you mean being
> able to bind keyboard keys to BRLTTY functions, that's been supported for quite
> a while.

Switching cursor attribute routing profiles, language (spoken as well as
braille), speed, pitch, cutting&asting between text consoles and
programs, speaking only parts of the screen, things like that. Sorry if
I missed brltty getting braille-device independent features for
keyboard-only navigation, also possibly using multiple USB keyboards,
despite being on this list for a while.  It's a long time since I tried
keyboard-only navigation in brltty.

> It's also done without the use of supporting code within the kernel.
> Additionally, keyboard bindings are defined within text-based, user-editable
> files.

Same for SBL. I was not discussing brltty, just trying to help
concerning the live CD. SBL has been inspired a lot by brltty, of
course.

Regards
-Klaus