[BRLTTY] Some more about SBL (Re: attribute tracking, was re: Recommended live distribution)

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Wed Sep 19 23:18:33 EDT 2012

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Klaus Knopper on 2012/09/20 at 02:17 +0200]
>
> >1. SBL detects the program running on the current text console by
> >reading its associated processes command name. For example, "elinks".
>
> Am I correct that, for example, it'd always be "screen" if a user is using
> screen-maintained sessions?

That's where the process name falls short as a generic solution.
However I'm under the impression that SBL was targetting a set of users
which might not be experienced enough to venture into screen (the
terminal multiplexer command) managed sessions.  Same thing for remote
connections over ssh.  Hence my suggestion to use screen (the actual
display) content matching pattern.  And that is not full proof either if
you have split wondows under screen, but at that point you have to be
quite an experienced user and not really require application profiles.

Nicolas