[BRLTTY] Integrating LibLouise to brltty ( Writing and Reading)

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Mon Aug 19 10:39:17 EDT 2013

Siju Samuel, le Thu 15 Aug 2013 18:01:46 -0500, a écrit :
> B. Steps to Write to Braile diplay - with liblouis.  ( Is this correct?)
> 1.brlapi_openConnection(NULL, NULL)
> 2.brlapi_enterTtyMode(BRLAPI_TTY_DEFAULT, NULL)
> 3. lou_translatestring()
> [This function takes a string of 16-bit Unicode characters in inbuf and
> translates it into a string of 16-bit characters in outbuf. Each 16-bit
> character produces a particular dot pattern in one braille cell when sent to an
> embosser or braille display or to a screen type font. Which 16-bit character
> represents which dot pattern is indicated by the character-definition and
> display opcodes in the translation table]
>
> 4.. Which brailApi to call to write to the device...????

You can use brlapi_writeDots(), which requires an ISO-11548-1 byte
array.

I guess the 16bit encoding used by liblouis is unicode U+28YZ encoding?
You thus simply need to truncate the 16bit value 0x28YZ into the 8bit
value 0xYZ.

> After reading a string from this (till encounter spaces  or enter  ) , can the
> the output from it  be directly used in lou_backTranslateString()  as input?

I haven't tried it, but AIUI, liblouis should be able to handle input
with something like this, yes. You should probably ask the liblouis
list about that.

Samuel