[BRLTTY] [BRLTTY ] brailApi_WriteText And Character Encoding when using Visual Studio C++ in Windows

Siju Samuel sijusamueltech at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 15:32:36 EDT 2013

Hi,

I am calling brailApi_writetext( 0, "sometext" );    from a Visual Studio
C++ project in Windows.   I am using the XW-driver (simulator). It is
showing just question mark in ?????? in the simulator display for the above
call.   But in mingw and also in Linux it is fine.

I noticed the braille log  when invoking the above call in different cases
as below.  Can you suggest any thing to be done in the set up.  As a note
we get the driver name and windows size etc correctly, which suggests some
results from  APIs are  as expected

LOG
========

In Visual Studio  : showing ?????  in the Simulator
-------------------
brltty.exe: Taking control of tty 0x00030c12 (how=0)
brltty.exe: Received Write request on fd 000001c0
brltty.exe: charset UCS-2LE

In Linux   : shows   braille and text in the Simulator
-----
brltty: Taking control of tty 0x04800005 (how=0)
brltty: Received Write request on fd 8
brltty: charset UTF-8

In Mingw
brltty.exe: Taking control of tty 0x00030e48 (how=0)
brltty.exe: Received Write request on fd 0000013C
brltty.exe: charset CP1252

Can you please suggest.

Thanks,
Siju samuel