[BRLTTY] Permanent line marks

Eric Scheibler email at eric-scheibler.de
Sat Dec 21 13:09:56 EST 2013

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> schrieb am 21.12.2013,  5:57 -0500:
>[quoted lines by Eric Scheibler on 2013/12/21 at 11:31 +0100]
>>bind CapsLock+!One GOTOMARK+1
>>bind CapsLock+ShiftLeft+!One SETMARK+1
>>bind CapsLock+ControlLeft+ShiftLeft+!One SETPERMANENTMARK+1
>>[...]
>
>Would it mean save plus write to disk, or would it mean write what's already
>been saved there to disk?

First option. SETMARK should remember the position and SETPERMANENTMARK does the same and additionally
saves the value to disk. I don't want to press both key combinations one by one if I want to make it
permanent.

>Right now, the marks are per screen. Do you see the permanent ones as being per
>screen, or just restored to all screens?

I only use gnu screen and so only one console (tty1). Therefore all marks which I set are for all
windows and that's okay. But I think the marks should be per screen in case someone uses tty1-6
instead of Gnu screen.

>>My motivation for this: I easily want to jump to the vim status line but at the moment I have to define this
>>mark after every Brltty restart.
>
>Isn't the vim status line always at the bottom (in which case, the BOT command
>would do), or is it that you want to jump to some indented part of that line?

Gnu screen let you define a status line at the bottom of the window. So the vim status line is one
line above.

>>And I must restart Brltty relatively often to change the speech synthesizer
>>language.
>
>Do we need a way to switch language without having to restart brltty?

Would be nice.

>How complicated is switching languages? What are all the things you find you
>need to change when doing so?

I use the espeak synthesizer for all languages. So I change the synthesizer language and speed. At
the moment I have two brltty.conf files, one for German and another for English.
German: speech-parameters es:voice=de,es:maxrate=800,es:punctlist=/-.{}
English: speech-parameters es:voice=en-us,es:maxrate=470,es:punctlist=/-.}{
Cause of the maxrate parameter I don't have to enter the Brltty menu to change the speed of the speech output.
Maybe you can switch that internally and bind it to a key combination.

Cheers
Eric