[BRLTTY] OT: Starting Orca on Ubuntu 12.04.2

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Fri Mar 29 03:31:03 EDT 2013

John J. Boyer <john.boyer at abilitiessoft.com> wrote:
> The desktop is started when Ubuntu boots up. I have no access to it
> without a screenreader. The solution appears to be to set up Orca to
> start at boot-up.

Try Alt-Ctrl-F1, which should take you to an ordinary Linux virtual console
and present a login prompt. If BRLTTY is loaded, everything should be in
braille from then on.

If BRLTTY isn't loaded, you have work to do. I don't know Ubuntu, so I can't
offer detailed help.

Ubuntu is diverging more and more from the rest of the Linux community, e.g.,
Upstart instead of Systemd or System V Init, the Unity desktop instead of
Gnome/KDE/XFCE, their own display server under development instead of adopting
Wayland, etc.

As a result, it's going to become harder for those of us who don't run Ubuntu
to help Ubuntu users on mailing lists.