[BRLTTY] Editing ktb and kti files.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Sep 30 16:22:11 EDT 2013

[quoted lines by Anders Holmberg on 2013/09/30 at 22:08 +0200]

Hi:

>I have a papenmeier braillex el 40s.
>Should i connect both displays and try?

Yes, as I'd like you to do a few things after brltty has crashed.

Enter gdb via the gdb command (no arguments). To get out of gdb, use its quit
command.

Once in gdb, use its file command to tell it where the brltty executable is,
and its run command to specify brltty's options. Like this:

   file /path/to/brltty
   run -ldebug,inpkts,outpkts,brlkeys -L/path/to/logfile

Remember to also add whatever other options you'd normally use. Then do
whatever you need to do to make brltty crash. When it crashes, use gdb's bt
(backtrace) command to display the function call stack for the location of the
failure. Then use gdb's quit command. Note that the quit command will warn you
that you have a running program, and ask you to confirm that you really do want
to quit. Respond by typing y (for yes) and then pressing enter.

I rather doubt that you want to copy all of gdb's output, so I suggest you do
all of the bove within a script session. In case you're unfamiliar with the
script command, this is how it works. Start by running the script command (no
arguments). It'll print a line telling you that it's now capturing your screen
output in a file called typescript. Then do all the gdb stuff. Once you're back
to the shell, use the exit command to end the script session. Then preserve the
file typescript and post it for us to look at.