[BRLTTY] ***Spam*** Re: How to find Unicode characters and change their grade 2 translation?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Apr 10 05:02:11 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2014/04/09 at 22:35 -0400]

>>[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2014/04/09 at 20:56 -0400]
>>
>>>According to Jaws the font is Fixedsys 12 point.
>>
>>That'd be a Windows font. Since Windows is a graphical platform, the text
>>console restrictions on fonts wouldn't apply. Do you think you can
>>come up with
>>a patch, or would you like me to send you one to test?
>
>Attached are two files. One, Emm-dash.patch (I hope I got "emm dash"
>right) is for the single hyphen that should be two hyphens. That
>works.

Thanks. Committed. There's actually only one m (em dash). An em is a
typographical unit which is a sixth of an inch long, so I suppose an "em dash"
is a dash that's exactly that long.

>However, there's another problem. Also attached is a file called
>Ill.txt.gz. It's the word "I'll" with a unicode apostrophe. The
>problem here is that when brltty-ctb translates this into grade 2 it
>puts a letter sign in front of the ll. Instead of (turn off grade 2):
>
>,i'll
>
>I get
>
>,i';ll
>
>In my infantile understanding of how to put unicode characters in the
>braille table I added:
>
>always \u2019 3
>
>but this doesn't get rid of the letter sign.

Strictly speaking, this character (2019) isn't called an apostrophe. It's
called a right single quotation mark.

You did the right thing. This could be a brltty problem (I'll check). The
character isn't classified as a punctuation mark, but, rather, as a final
punctuation mark. I don't recall ever coding for this particular classification
so brltty might be getting it wrong.

Another possibility is that this character is, in fact, in your example, being
misused. As a closing quote, it should only be occurring at the end of a word.
As such, brltty may well be interpreting it as an end-of-word break. If so,
brltty would actually be doing the right thing and I'd hesitate to try to "fix"
it since it actually wouldn't be broken. The bug, in this case, would actually
be in the text since a closing single quote isn't the same as an apostrophe
even if some typist used it as such.