[BRLTTY] ***Spam*** Re: How to find Unicode characters and change their grade 2 translation?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Apr 10 19:56:59 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2014/04/10 at 13:49 -0400]

>t'other
>
>This is preceded by a letter sign which is wrong.

I'm not seeing a problem with t'other.

>Note that this
>demonstrates the problem is not associated with "ll".

When I changed it from I'll to I've the letter sign went away. Also, reading
the code, as well as looking at a few inserted debug logs, verified that it had
to do with the ll.

>'ll
>
>This has a letter sign before the ll which, again, is wrong. (From
>the context one can see this is dialect for "will".

Yes, I can easily reproduce this. It also appears to be an old bug, i.e. not
introduced by today's changes.

How common is 'll? I don't think I've ever read or heard it.

>Look at it this way: In print this sign is used to produce a certain
>character. This character is valid, or at least nearly so, no matter
>where it's located. It looks like, or nearly like, an apostrophe;
>close enough it can appear in the middle of a word.

I can look at it that way, of course, but there are also other ways to look at
it. Unicode characters have been very carefully categorized, and Unicode
character processors are incorrect if they don't follow the rules.

Strictly speaking, an apostrophe is vertical whereas single quotes (either open
or close) are slanted. So, in fact, I could argue that the chosen character
looks algogether wrong. That being said, the old ASCII apostrophe, which really
doubles as an acute accent and an opening single quote, has caused the
formation of an extremely prolific but very bad habit.

>In braille this character is used for one purpose only: to produce poor
>braille. To produce good braille this character should produce dot 3 no matter
>where it's located. If somebody wants to find out what's really there they can
>use hex; that's what it's for.

I myself don't think so. It should be represented in English braille by 356-3.
Of course, I suppose it's wide open for debate when it appears anywhere other
than at the end of a word.