[BRLTTY] Contracted English braille error and patch: O'clock

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Apr 11 18:28:34 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2014/04/11 at 16:29 -0400]

>Here's a fix for the right single quote being used in the word "o'clock".

I wouldn't like to do it that way. The fact is that there are other apostrophes
as well, e.g. the full width apostrophe. The solution needs to be more general.

The problem is actually far worse than a few versions of the apostrophe. For
example, the entire alphabet is duplicated for various fonts, e.g. full width,
mathematical bold, mathematical italic, mathematical bold italic, mathematical
script, mathematical bold script, mathematical fraktur, mathematical
double-struck, mathematical bold fraktur, mathematical sans-serif, mathematical
sans-serif bold, mathematical sans-serif italic, mathematical sans-serif bold
italic, and mathematical mono-space.

To do it right, we should support all contractions regardless of which flavour
of any given letter is used. Explicitly respecifying our entire list of
contraction rules for each possible combination wouldn't be good. I'll think
about what we can do in order to efficiently resolve this problem in a general
way.

>The problems with these quote signs are myriad. Here's a chapter title. Turn
>off grade 2:
>
>,,julia',s ,,plot ,,6,,br1k ,,fanny',s ,,5gage;t
>
>Note the extra capital signs.

This is also a defficiency in the way that blocks of capitals have been
implemented. Before I tackle that one, though, I do have a question. Is "to
the" capitalized the right way, above, or, since the two words are joined
together, should there be just one ,, sign?

>BTW, I asked a sighted friend about the right single quote. She has a
>certain amount of proofreading experience, having worked for TV Guide
>for awhile. According to her, the right single quote and apostrophe
>are virtually indistinguishable. Whether all sighted people would
>agree I don't know. For what it may or may not be worth...

All evidence is worth considering. In the end, the issue is: Should we
rigorously follow the rules that are expected of a good Unicode processor or
should we break the rules in order to accommodate understandable but incorrect
things that careless people do? The reality, in this particular case, is that
we're dealing with a bug in the text by someone who (probably) tried to be too
clever.

In any event, as stated above, I'll try to figure out a good way to handle the
fact that multiple characters can mean the same thing. I also have no problem
with treating a mis-placed closing single quote (beginning or middle of a word)
as an apostrophe. This leaves us with what to do with a right single quote at
the end of a word. Since that's the correct place for that character to appear,
my preference would be to not allow it to be treated as an apostrophe.