[BRLTTY] brltty on Ubuntu 14.04

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Thu Apr 24 23:09:58 EDT 2014

John J. Boyer <john.boyer at abilitiessoft.com> wrote:
> It has brltty 5.0, but it's not running. How do I set it up to start at
> boot time?

Ubuntu uses upstart to manage its boot process, so you need to ensure that the
BRLTTY Upstart job is enabled.

I don't know Upstart, and my Web searches haven't revealed a quick answer to
what should be a common question. However, I found the following, which may
help you:
http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/

Interestingly, the init system that Debian is now migrating to, systemd,
offers a straightforward command for doing this: systemctl enable brltty,
which invokes BRLTTY during the boot process.  You can also run systemctl
start brltty to start it manually.