[BRLTTY] punctuation level

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Apr 29 15:01:10 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2014/04/29 at 19:08 +0200]

>I think just one which cycles through all available commands is fine.

Right now, when there are only two choices, our toggle commands play an on tune
or an off tune for confirmation. How should confirmation of selection work when
there are more choices than just two?

>It would be very handy if BRLTTY would support selecting configurations using
>keys. This would allow me to not restart BRLTTY each time I want to listen a
>text in a different language. Would that be possible?

Yes, it would be possible, but we should think about how best to design it.

The easiest way would be to internally restart brltty after selecting the
configuration file. This, of course, would also mean that the braille driver
would restart. Is that acceptable, or should the code be reworked to allow
reloading a subset of the configuration settings and then only restarting the
bare minimum (which, in your case, would be just the speech driver)?

something else to consider is the fact that, currently, command line options
override configuration file settings. What if the selected configuration file
has settings which are overridden by command line options? In that case, which
should take effect?

How should configuration file selection be performed? Would you want to go into
the preferences menu, find the right setting, and select it? Another approach
would be to implement a key combination which would be used in conjunction with
a routing key, where each routing key would select a different configuration
file. Maybe there are more alternatives which I haven't thought of.