[BRLTTY] More questions to help me make a Slint installer blind friendly.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Dec 6 16:05:53 EST 2014

[quoted lines by Didier Spaier on 2014/12/06 at 18:30 +0100]

>But this leads to a few more questions:

:-) Isn't that always the case?

>In /etc/inittab for busybox, attached[1] we currently start only
>tty1, tty2 and tty3. (tty4 collects the log messages).
>
>_Should we also start one ore more ttyS<n>, and if yes preferably
> with what getty options?

Do you mean for if the braille device is connected to a serial port? If so, no.
The serial ports are ttyS<n> (note the uppercase S), starting from ttyS0.
Brltty will manage the serial port itself. Getty is for a text login.

>_And what do we have to add in case the braille terminal be connected
> through an USB slot, instead of a serial line?

Nothing. Just ensure either that udev is providing /dev/bus/usb or that
/proc/bus/usb is mounted. Having both is fine, but only one is necessary.

>_In the aforementioned document, we are suggested to include these lines
> on top of /etc/fstab:
>   # Start the braille display.
>   brl::sysinit:/bin/brltty
>
> But instead, can we just start brltty at the end of /etc/rc.S1, as no
> interaction with the user occurs during this script's execution?

Yes, that'd be fine, with one qualification. If something goes wrong early on
then starting brltty as soon as possible gives a braille user the most
independence. In other words, if a significant problem occurs before brltty has
been started then he's stuck. It's like how early in the boot sequence should
your monitor be started.