[BRLTTY] Newbie questions to help me make a Slint installer blind friendly.

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sat Dec 20 18:03:40 EST 2014

Didier Spaier, le Fri 19 Dec 2014 22:12:17 +0100, a écrit :
> 1. For me and for Philippe the "nomodeset" kernel parameter allows to
>    display a 80x25 screen on our physical machines, but on a VMware Player
>    virtual machine that doesn't work. Any hint to make sure we get 80x25
>    on _any_ machine?

Well, for me that'd be a bug of VMware Player...

> 2. In case of UEFI firmware (and only for the 64-bit installers), instead
>    of SYSLINUX GRUB is used as a boot loader.
>    But then the command line has to be edited, not typed to include the
>    'brltty=... part', thus I assume that a blind erson should be assisted
>    by a sighting person for that very first task. Do you know a way to
>    avoid that using GRUB? For your information I attach to this message
>    the grub.cfg file as it is now in Slint64-1.1

I don't know such way.  That's indeed a concern, probably this issue
should be raised on the grub mailing list.

> 3. Now that a (third party) installer for Slackware version 14.1 shipping
>    brltty is available, how can I spread the word among potential users?

Well, ideally, by making it non-third party, i.e. getting your change
included in the mainstream version of slackware.  In my experience,
that's the best way to spread it, and the only way to see this work not
lost with time.

Samuel