[BRLTTY] Let's improve documentation for the non blind

Dr. Volker Jaenisch volker.jaenisch at inqbus.de
Thu Dec 25 20:52:25 EST 2014

Hi brltty-List!

After 15 years a new braille device "Focus 14" arrived at Christmas for
my blind brother.
It took myself - a senior programmer - more than two days of reverse
engineering to make the new braille display
usable to my brother.

Why? Not because of technical problems. It's just the lack of a
terminology and a diagram for not blind persons.

I dig into the config of brltty and it all is clear and straight - if
someone knows where the keys "LeftGdf" or "LeftWheelUp"
are located on the physical device.

Also the documentation of the individual key bindings descriptions are
misleading:

go up one line: LeftWheelUp

If I read "go up one line" I imagine the cursor to go up. But in this
case only the reading focus goes up one line but not the cursor.
Overall I miss the great picture on what is going on. There is no meta
document that discribes the difference between cursor and reading focus
movement and
this crucial difference is also not reflected in the terminology of the
config files.

Complaints do not make things better. I like to contribute.
You may find a graphical documentation of the BRLTTY Key-Bindings to the
physical keys on the FS Focus 14 here:

https://inqbus-hosting.de/volker/focus_14_doku.odg/at_download/file

I distribute this file under the by-nc-sa creative commons license.

Tell me how to contribute more ..

Best regards

Volker

   inqbus  it-consulting       Dr.  Volker Jaenisch
   Richard-Strauß-Str. 1       +49(08861) 690 474 0
   86956   Schongau-West       http://www.inqbus.de